Last week Y-cam attended the Synology DSM 4.3 Beta launch in Manchester at Old Trafford. We got to experience all the updates and latest features of Synology’s newest DiskStation Manager whilst highlighting our new Cube range IP cameras with their new update.
Inviting customers, press and partners on the Thursday 4th July, Synology launched their new Beta DSM 4.3 – released today!. We, amongst the other attendees, were treated to a great day full of updates and uncoverings.
There are numerous features for both Synology and Y-cam customers to look forward to, but here are some of our favorite updates and new additions.
What to expect from Synology’s DSM 4.3?
Synology’s DSM 4.3 is set to be their best yet, with improvements in five key areas; performance reliability, productivity upgrade, business applications, multimedia show time and mobile anywhere. Here is what you can expect:
- Offloaded data transfers – Great if you’re looking to saving precious storage space.
- New upgrade models – Allowing you to expand as you wish which is perfect if you know you’ll want to upgrade again in the future. FYI – you always want to upgrade when you buy Synology .
- Exciting SSD power – Making these machines faster and more prepared than ever before.
- Directory Integration – Adding Active Directory, IBM Domino LDAP, Apple Open Directory and OpenLDAP.
- Hybrid Account Integration – Allowing you to log into you Google Mail, Drive and Hangouts all through you LDAP account.
- Auto Recycle Bin cleaning – This might not seem exciting, however it allows you to personalise your recycle bin, automatically keeping the files you need and removing those that you don’t instantly.
- New powerful cloud station – Now with sophisticated syncing and easier integration.
- Mail server updates – Tighten security and making orgainising easier, perfect if you’re like us and always have an overflowing inbox.
- File Station – Synology have always done file organising well, however this update cleans the process, looks better and adds in the ability to easily share your folders without creating DSM accounts.
Multimedia Show Time
- New Customising options – Add, amend and mold you libraries, then access all of these on demand.
- Added TV Streaming – Access all your movies and TV shows on the go from your Synology DSM and what is really cool is that your NAS will auto save where you are so you can pick up again directly on your TV.
- Survelliance Station – Great new updates and features perfect for home security or business survallence including people tracking, time line functions and new multiscreen look.
- Great updates to Photo Station – It has always been easy to store your photos, however Synology’s new layout takes this function to the next level. Images below.
- New look all around – The function was there but now the look has updated. Adding in new list features, grouping and instant connections so you can connect to your music on the go.
- Photo browsing updates – This was one of our favorite updates, the new photo streaming looks great.
- Compatibility with Windows Phones – We know a few of you have been waiting for this support and here it is!
- Mobile broadband support – This was the finale of the day and a real talking point for us. Now you can slot your 3G dongle directly into your Synology NAS, which will be a great option for Y-cam customers who want to route the camera through their NAS drive.
This new software is avalible to download today and can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/11xYbOw. For more pictures from the event head over to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ycamsolutions
DSM 4.3 will be compatible with your Y-cam IP cameras soon so keep you eye peeled for an compatibility update.
For more information on DSM 4.3 and Synology NAS drive, visit http://www.synology.com/index.php?lang=uk.
Want to win peace-of-mind? See below how to enter our prize draw to win a brand new HomeMonitor cloud camera with 7 days ‘forever free’ secure online storage worth £149.99.
In January of this year we launched our brand new cloud camera, HomeMonitor. This new Wi-Fi camera is our simplest product to-date and has been created especially for those that are looking for the easiest method possible to monitor, record and save whatever is important to you, from any device and any location and now you can win one, completely free!
To celebrate the launch of our new, dedicated HomeMonitor website – www.homemonitor.me – we are giving away one HomeMonitor. So if you are looking for super simple home security, or just an easy way to watch over your stuff, now is your chance.
Here is what you could win…
HomeMonitor offers a super simple way to watch whatever you want with everything recorded and stored securely in the cloud, free for 7 days. Super simple to set up and use, just connect a camera, create an account and you’re away. No technical knowhow, no fiddling with router settings, you don’t even need a PC to setup. This professional quality camera even comes with infrared night vision, letting you see in the dark!
This competition is now closed
To find out when the next HomeMonitor competition is – Like our page on Facebook.
Please read our terms and conditions before entering this prize draw. To view full T & C’s please visit http://y-c.am/XxRJkp.
Note for existing Y-cam IP camera users: HomeMonitor is not compatible with Y-cam IP cameras. Y-cam owners please feel free to join in our prize draw however please be aware that your existing cameras cannot be added to this service. If you would like to find out more about the difference between Y-cam IP camera and HomeMonitor please read: http://www.y-cam.com/introducing-y-cam-homemonitor/.
With domestic burglaries on the rise and public interest & awareness in available technologies increasing The Gadget Show looks at the best home security gadgets to burglar-proof your home.
Protecting your home, loved ones and belongings is top priority for most people. With reports featured in the media daily and statistic proof on the rise in domestic burglaries it is not surprising that this topic is becoming increasingly more relevant.
Only published this May, the Crime Report UK showed a total of 701,000 domestic burglaries and 1,217,000 vehicle related theft took place in the UK last year; increasing from the year before. Therefore the increasing attitude toward the necessity in home security in not surprising, however who said that you couldn’t mix gadgets with function?
New Technologies are making the home safer
With the increasing advanced computer technology and smartphones, safety features are not reserved for the future. With the growth in fast broad band connection, cloud technology, home automation and mobile connectivity through smartphones, tablets and laptops, there is a plethora of options available that will provide peace of mind.
As the home security market is growing and become more infiltrated, including items from high-tech locks to a 24/7 security team, remote monitoring cameras to automated lights and blinds all with the intention to protect your home, family and belongings, how do you choose the best option for you?
This conundrum was party addressed last night, Monday 1st July, on The Gadget Show. Who, with the help of ex con Michel Fraser, looked at the latest, affordable and easy-to-use home security products that you can simply install in your home without the help of a technician or installer.
Gadget Show top 5 ‘Home Security’ gadgets to make your home safer
Enlisting Jason Bradbury as the burglar, new presenter Rachel tries out these top 5 home security gadgets in an old fashion game of Man vs Gadget. See The Gadget Show’s review of the latest home security below.
ILA Door Wedge
Frequent fliers, college students and anyone who is uneasy about staying solo in a hotel room needs to travel with an ila WEDGE. Jam it under a door to make it harder to open, and if an intruder tries to force entry you (and hotel staff) will be alerted with an ear-splitting alarm.
Find out more at http://www.ilasecurity.com/uk/our-products/ila-wedge/
Mat-On-Guard Pressure Door Mat
The Mat-on-Guard is perfect for door entrance at you home, shop or office. As soon as a visitor steps onto the mat a chime will notify you of their arrival. The Mat-on-Guard comes with a small state-of-the-art transmitter which when triggered sends a signal to the Chime unit and you connect as many chime units as you need to each Pressure Pad.
Pure DAB Radio Wi-Fi Camera with night vision
This is a fully functional Pure DAB radio which features a night vision Wi-Fi camera that utilises an infra-red black light to capture images up to 8m away in total darkness. This audio and video surveillance unit can be monitored from anywhere in the world.
The Wi-Fi spy camera features 640 x 480 high resolution video captures and the device is powered by mains electricity so does not rely on batteries, allowing the unit to provide continuous, uninterrupted transmission when necessary.
Rapid Deploy Smoke Security Unit
Driven by demand from the Police for a portable security smoke solution, the Rapid Deploy is a patented design unique to Concept Smoke Screen. Set up and protection is a matter of minutes. Each unit is supplied with any number of Radio Key Fobs to arm and disarm, carries advanced Dual Tech detection and is available in a robust, wheeled flight case for ease of transport. Capable of completely independent operation, the product also offers GSM signalling of all functions (including activation) to make the Rapid Deploy truly stand alone and perfect for capturing burglars unaware.
Find out more at http://www.smoke-screen.co.uk/loss-prevention/rapid-deploy.php
Y-cam Cube HD 1080
Small and sleek, the Gadget Show highlighted our new Cube HD 1080 IP camera for its discrete design, full 1080p HD image quality day and night and its simplicity of connection through an existing Wi-Fi connection.
Highlighting the live video and audio streaming the team used our cameras to protect the back exit of their studio from Jason’s advances due to advice from Michel Fraser that “burglars will try for the weakest point of your home (referring to the back); this is where you want to be covered with a camera”.
This high definition home security camera connects with your Pc, Mac, smartphone or tablet allowing you to see and hear your home from anywhere in the world. The tiny camera is jam-packed full of professional features including free motion detection alerts, up-to 15m night vision, H.264 compression for bandwidth friendly streaming and on-camera 64GB microSD recording – All perfect for a high quality robust security solution.
Find out more about our Cube HD 1080 at http://www.y-cam.com/y-cam-cube-hd-1080.
Home security feature starts at 16:00
Watch the full The Gadget Show episode at http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-gadget-show/episodes/episode-5-419
If you are interested in the growing trend of ‘Connected Home’ or the buzz word ‘Internet of Things’ you may already be clued up on the market shift, however if the idea of having your life intertwined together with technology is new to you we have a few great tips to help get you started.
What does it all mean?
Connecting your ‘stuff’ to the internet has been an emerging trend for a while, we have seen the pickup of the Connected Home and Smart Home grow for a while, if you read our blog you’ll know it’s something we’re incredibly interested in, however this market has seen a sudden burst of activity which is getting everyone excited.
This growth is primarily down to three core factors:
1. Money – It’s now cheaper than ever to design, create and develop products and software that can slot into this growing segment.
2. We’re all wireless - The growth of Wi-Fi connections, 3G and 4G plus acceptance of mobiles have created a Wireless hub.
3. Cloud technology – The ability to transmit and save large amounts of data makes it possible to keep people connected.
Over the last year, companies have been cropping up in all aspects of the market, including our new cloud camera HomeMonitor, and this trend is sure to continue growing. Tech Crunch produced an overview image (below) of the current market infrastructure and this is only the beginning.
How can I get started?
Creating your own connected home may seem a daunting task, however there are a few easy products that will help ease you in.
- Sonos music player offers Wi-Fi speakers and a streaming playlist which can be accessed through mobile apps starting at £349.99.
- Control your temperature with the Nest thermometer when you’re at home and when you’re away. (USA only – $249.99)
- Why not start with a Roku streaming box at only £39.99 and have entry level media streaming.
- See your home where ever you are with our new cloud camera, HomeMonitor (£149.99), listed by TechCrunch as a great place to start.
What does the future hold?
These are four small ways to dip your toe into the ‘Internet of Things’ and, with the growth seen over the past year, there will soon be a million of ways you can connect to your world. The space is extraordinarily exciting, however it is still rapidly evolving so we should expect to see dramatic changes over the next few months and years.
To learn more about the current offering, read TechCrunch’s article ‘Understanding the Internet of Things’: http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/25/making-sense-of-the-internet-of-things/
The world’s second largest ICT trade show is only a mere few weeks away and for those of us that like to keep our ear to the ground on the latest technology then COMPUTEX ASIA is the show for you; packed full of industry leaders, new and exciting developments and, of course, Y-cam.
COMPUTEX TAIPEI is currently the largest computer exhibition in Asia with over 17,000 exhibitors and 130,000 visitors and boasts one of the largest international attendances. Offering worldwide trade, professionals, analysts and journalists from the computer and information industry – a fantastic opportunity to experience the latest technology and trends emerging from the market – it is not hard to see why people are drawn to COMPUTEX.
Taking place from June 4th – 8th at Taipei World Trade Center, COMPUTEX will be highlighting the best companies, services and products in computers, digital entertainment and data storage, plus offering seminars on emerging topics including the popular trend of the Internet of Things.
During the show, Y-cam will be present on ASUSTOR’s booth, our newly announced partner, highlighting our compatible camera, including our new Cube range, with their fantastic NAS storage solutions. To come and see the solution for yourself and ask any questions, visit us in the Taipei Nangang Exhibition Centre 4th Floor, Booth L0404.
To see a full list of exhibitors at this year’s show, visit www.computextaipei.com.tw
Visitor registration is completely free and closes on May 29th so if you are planning on attending make sure your visit their registration page here: https://computex.leadexpo.com/EN-index.html.